Tuesday, July 22, 2014

When people throw things at your car. (Because I have no better title).

Driving through an unfamiliar neighborhood, having dropped off a kid after Bible study who lived further away, I tried to maneuver one way residential streets to get back on a familiar main road. It was a beautiful day, cool, sunny, breezy - my ideal weather. I slowed the big 15 passenger van for the kids in the street up ahead. They looked to be about the same age as the kids I work with at ICI, around 8th or 9th grade. There was a plastic cup and some sticks in the street, and the girl motioned for me to slow down, she seemed to be indicating the things in the middle of the road. I slowed to attempt to straddle them, in case it was some game or something they were playing, then stopped when a boy stepped out in front of the van and crossed over to be with the rest of his friends. As I accelerated, the girl threw a half-filled water bottle through the open window, hitting my wrist, and the boy threw a stick in front of my tires. I swerved instinctively to avoid it as the kids scattered, laughing and screaming, as if surprised they made it through the window and afraid I was going to come after them.
A small part of me thought the idiot kids needed to be taught a lesson - you really can't do that to people. A large part of the kids in the back of the van thought the same thing, vocalizing it quite loudly. (One later told me I should go back to that block and give those kids a whooping, because it's just not right for them to act like that. THAT was pretty funny, as the kid has done his fair share of stupid things too.) Mostly, I was just amused as I shook out my wrist to make sure it hadn't aggravated an old injury, leaned over to grab the bottle where it landed on the passenger seat and dropped in the in the trash bin between the seats.

I'd like to tie this into some deep spiritual truth. I love when things like this illustrate theological concepts. Maybe someday I'll come across one.

Mostly it just confirmed once again that I'm in the right business: my first instinct was to get out of the car and get to know them, invite them to ICI. I couldn't at the time, having other kids to bring home. I am glad Christ stirred my heart for the youth of Chicago, I just love them. I want so badly for these young men and women to know Him and I greatly enjoy getting to know them.

Even though they do stupid things like throwing trash into moving cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The person I used to be.

“We all change, when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives. And that’s OK, that’s good, you gotta keep movin...