Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Sunday.

I cried on Sunday. 

Tears dripped off my chin as I sniffled quietly, listening to the pastor's message.
Then I fled, 
Pulling up my hood to shelter my tears, 
To the ladies' room.
Sobs shook my chest and my lungs caught, unsure if air was still welcome. I looked at my wet eyes and something crumbled inside of me, trying to hide itself back into the tight ball shattered by that short sentence: 

"We need to go headfirst into the darkness."

I'm not sure I can describe the ripping, the tearing these words caused, still cause, something deep within me grieving. 

I remember that burden, that burning desire to walk into the pain, the brokenness, the darkness, the hopelessness, the torrent of lives untouched by the church, something inside me screams. I remember it, and I went, and I broke. "He won't ask you to do more than you can handle," said the pastor, encouraging the congregation to step out in faith. But He does. He asks for more than we can give, offers more than we can carry. How else will we know we are weak? 

I wasn't weak, I was strong.

There is a certain high you get from succeeding, from doing well. 

That is gone now. 

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."

Martin Luther King Jr. said that. We just celebrated his legacy and his memory.
But he died. 
I have died, too. 
Hate ended his life. Inspired by his words, I offered love, yet hate screamed so loudly all around me. I grew hoarse. My breath, gone. A passionate, living part of me has died. The light no longer enough for any more than myself. And my world, oh, blessed relief, has shrunk to just me. And my husband. I no longer fight to offer love. My role is just to be loved.  

Faces still haunt me. Voices echo in stillness and solitude. I dream about them. The ones I loved well. The ones I failed. Their vibrant joys and violent pains. 
I step back to let someone else fight in the darkness. Someone else shine. 

When Pastor Z called the church to step out intentionally in love, as Christ did in Matthew Four, I wanted to shout back. 
But I honestly don't know what I would shout.
A warning? "Don't do it. It hurts!" 
A retort? "I have, and I can't go any further. Let me rest!"
An agreement? "Yes! Please! Everyone, join the ranks, let's bathe this world in Christ's light!"

I've been reading the book of Job, and find deep comfort there. This man sees the injustice in the world. Has fought to love the broken, stood strong in his service to God, yet is now brought low. Steeped in misery, everything stripped from him, he asks God, Why? What did I do wrong?  
We need space to feel this. To say this. To not jump straight to celebration and ignore the pain. 

So please, join in with Pastor Z and MLK and fight the darkness, with the gospel, with love, with social awareness and justice - but don't ask me to join you. I don't have any more love to give. I am learning to simply be loved. And to keep crying.

2 comments:

  1. This has more and more been a burden on my heart. So many people are going out in the mentality of the church in Acts, trying to be Jesus and love, when now a days none of it is done in the power of the Spirit as they did it.
    You are in the perfect place right now. Realizing you need love first. The Spirit makes known the love of Christ and our Aba. And that love takes over. He truly changes. He is the spring that does not dry up.
    It is the power of the Spirit that the early Christians received, not when they believed and first received the Spirit, but when His power was given when the disciples layed their hands on them.
    It is the baptism of Christ that no one was ever intended to do anything without. Jesus did not do His ministry without it. None of the disciples did either. He came to baptize in Spirit and fire. The baptism of water was always meant to turn into the baptism of Spirit and fire. We are not meant to do it on our own just because we believe or have knowledge. Moses had both, but he had to spend 40 years learning his weakness before God actually used him. Then there was nothing left to be used in Moses. Only weakness that God could use.
    Be weak. Be loved. Be filled with Him. He is so much more concerned about being truly united to you and sovereign over you, than He is about what you do. He will bear such fruit in your heart. Just rest! Just rest and listen to His beautiful words and the Spirit of God inside you. Soak up His unconditional love.
    The faith that gives you salvation is the same faith that gives the power and intimacy of His Spirit. So just rest and love and be loved.
    I love you so much and am praying for you!!

    ReplyDelete

The person I used to be.

“We all change, when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives. And that’s OK, that’s good, you gotta keep movin...