Thursday, July 11, 2013

Prayers of Gratitude.

Her face alight with interest, she nods in agreement at something I say, takes a sip of her coffee. People mill around us but they are out of focus, muted. Some remote part of me knows my eyes are shining with excitement, every part of me tingling and alive. Recounting what God has done, painting pictures of the girls and boys I worked with at ICI, tracing the paths God took me down to get to this point - it's thrilling. I silently shoot up a prayer of gratitude for this person God has brought into my life, someone also passionate about reaching Chicago for Christ. 

Thank you, Lord, for the opportunity to speak for missions, to help others find joy in serving you, to share what you have called me to do.  


I review my excel sheet, inputting numbers, scrolling up and down, back and forth, clicking from one screen to another. And blink tears from my eyes. God's faithfulness, the faithfulness of you who  take part in my work with ICI - it blows me away. I see how you have given month after month. I see you who have recently joined my team, joined with me in reaching these inner city kids. There are 40 of you who give repeatedly, almost 20 more who give special gifts. And more than 80 additional, you pray. "The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective."

Thank you, Lord, for the multitude you have called to come alongside me, to encourage and uplift me, to love your gospel and the kids in Chicago. 


In discussing the process of support raising recently, I reflect on how it is preparing me. The endurance and perseverance I am learning test my commitment - hands-on ministry will require these. Reliance on God, financially, emotionally, relationally - this also will be further needed once I start. The furthering of practical skills such as initiating relationships and intentional conversation is essential to developing disciples. And I learn again and again to increase my faith in God's faithfulness.

Thank you, Lord, for teaching me through support raising. For the preparation you do in my life now for the future. For using this time to further mold me into your likeness. 

1 comment:

  1. Well thought out, well said, lyrical and heartfelt! Think of oour 20+ years of support...all those faithful supporters of our ministry... all those years...Because of their love for God, and perhaps some for us. You were blessed then without my thought of it all, as that was simply life. God is the provider all the way around. We often forget that. Thanks for sharing what you are learning. You are right, those experiences are for your training...:). Remember "There is a Joy in the Journey... (M.Card)I am/ We are proud of youw/much love, M& D

    ReplyDelete

The person I used to be.

“We all change, when you think about it. We’re all different people all through our lives. And that’s OK, that’s good, you gotta keep movin...